Monday, December 10, 2012

Water for Elephants

Author: Sara Gruen
Genre: Fiction

Film tie-ins are convenient. If I know who the actors and actresses are, I immediately imagine them playing the same characters in the movie - despite the fact that I have never seen the film myself. This usually sets me up for a potential disappointment when I DO get to see the film, as some scenes are not played the way I saw it in my mind, and some lines are inevitably changed.

However, reading this book disappointed me in a different way. If I were in Reese Witherspoon's shoes, I would feel insulted at being offered to play Marlena from this novel. Imagine - an Oscar-winning actress who has played such diverse roles since her teenhood reduced to playing a one-dimensional part (but hang on, didn't she do the same for 'This Means War'?).


Marlena is a circus performer caught in a love triangle between the circus' seasoned animal trainer and the new circus 'vet'. That's about all there is to her, as the story is told from the vet's POV.

It is set in the 20's or 30's, and is told in flashback by the vet who is now languishing in an old folk's home. The circus is a travelling circus, criss-crossing America on a train to perform shows or acquire new acts from bankrupt competitors. One of their acquisitions is an elephant that the circus owner insists on being made the star attraction, despite not being able to follow instructions.

The premise is interesting, and the novel started off quite well, but halfway through the pace dropped and things began to get quite humdrum. It was only in the last few chapters that the action picked up again, but even then it became a tad too predictable.

No comments: