Sunday, June 10, 2012

Mini Shopaholic

Author: Sophie Kinsella

Chick lit is usually dependable when I need a pick-me-up. Ever since I read the first Shopaholic book, I could always rely on Sophie Kinsella to deliver the goods. And so this time I returned to Becky Bloomwood, several years after I left her at the altar married to Luke Brandon.

This is the latest in the Shopaholic series, I think, and while Becky's circumstances have progressed - she's married, has a 2-year-old daughter and is hunting for a family home - unfortunately her shopping habits have not improved much. In fact, for a mother of one who is hankering for another child, she seems to have regressed into some childish behaviour herself.

Although some of her antics are funny, and there is a bittersweet, heart-tugging moment or two, I can't help but be a little frustrated with Becky for being so immature when it comes to her family. Some events have a big build-up only to end in a sort of anti-climax. Even her moments of brilliance do not match the scale of her achievements in the first few books (the articles, TV show etc). Except for the party - which turns out to be - SPOILER ALERT!!! - absolutely grand. This annoys me even more, in a-'What has she done to really deserve having all her plans come truer than she herself expected it to be?'-kind-of-way.

No comments: