Sunday, June 10, 2012

Undomestic Goddess

Author: Sophie Kinsella

I have wanted to read this book for ages, and I am glad I finally did. If anything, this book redeemed my faith in Ms. Kinsella's writing (although she did write this before Mini-Shopaholic).

I also love the fact that the protagonist in this book is so different from Becky. Samantha Sweeting is an intelligent, no-nonsense, workaholic lawyer aiming to make it big. But just before she is about to achieve her dreams, she makes a terrible mistake and goes into a sort of nervous breakdown. Somehow she gets hired as a housekeeper - despite not knowing how to cook or clean.

I suppose the premise is too far-fetched, but at least Samantha does not annoy me as much as Becky did. And despite her lack of domestic skills, she quickly learns her new trade and even excels at it (oh, I am so jealous!!!). Things tie up nicely in the end when it appears her earlier mistake was -SPOILER ALERT!!! - actually a set-up. And of course she gets the guy.

The only grouch I have about this book is the lack of development of the other characters, especially the employers. All in all, an enjoyable read.

No comments: