Friday, June 8, 2012

The Old Man & The Sea

Author: Ernest Hemingway
Genre: Fiction, Classic

This book was lying around in the house - it belongs to Hubby. He seems to have a collection of classics about men, fishing and the sea - before we were married he was reading Moby Dick but never got round to finishing it. Is there a trend here?

The story is basically about an old fisherman whose best days seem to be over. One day he strikes out to sea earlier and further than before, hoping to make one great catch. He snags a giant marlin, and from then on it is a battle of strength, wits and tenacity as he tries to subdue the creature and make his way home with his bounty.

 Anyway, this was a short book, which I finished fairly quickly. The writing was meant to be revolutionary at the time it was published. For me, I prefer my classics to be more meandering with long descriptive sentences. This has a very modern, conemporary feel to it.

Although I did not care so much for the writing style, the story and theme got me hooked. The ending particularly touched me and reminds me of the conundrum I used to face during staff performance appraisals - how do you address no results despite the great efforts you have put in?

No comments: